Translate

Monday 4 June 2012

My Mystery Guitar




I bought this guitar about 5 years ago. I've no idea what it is. It's obviously modelled in the style of PRS guitars.It has a gibson logo on the headstock, but it's not a Gibson. It's most certainly made in China, but it's a decent quality guitar. The wood on the top is quite thick and as far as I can tell it isn't ply, I've scraped a bit of paint off the bottom near the jack socket to see if I could see layers of wood, but it looks like it's fairly solid. The neck is quite hefty, but having said that, it's good to play. Powerfull pick ups. You can see screwholes where a bigsby type tremelo was fitted, but, as I use this for slide, I took the trem off and replaced the bridge with a Wilkinson roller bridge and tailpiece.
As you can see, it has a few battle scars, there's some buckle rash on the back too, this gives it a bit of mojo I think. All the marks have appeared since I've owned it, when I originally bought it, there wasn't a mark on it, but it's been gigged to death since then.
The pick ups have a good throaty sound, which is why I decided to use it for slide playing, I usually have it tuned to open E, and occasionally to open G.

Oh, and the cost? ..........£35!........bargain!


And here it is with the bigsby attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment